Sunday, July 22, 2012

Turn My Heart

This summer has been so much different than summers past. I haven't been hiking as much as I'd like but plan on conquering Thunder Mountain before school starts. I haven't hiked that one since I was a kid. I have had a blast playing softball again this summer but I am no longer working a tourism job for the first time in seven summers (since high school). It's a breath of fresh air but sometimes I do miss the pace of tourism. I'm working for Juneau Youth Services for the Transitional Living Program as a case manager. The work is challenging but I feel like I'm making progress in learning the ropes so that's good. My full time work schedule will work around my internship, class and master's project formation. I will be very busy but it is nice to have steady income. This is where I work: TLP. I will be doing my internship at Juneau Douglas High School. My sister Christine will be moving to Juneau in a month and I'm so excited to be living in the same place as her again. Her time in Africa was amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing Annie and her husband Andrew for either Thanksgiving or Christmas.

My very dear friend from Haines lost her father in a drowning accident on the 4th of July. In his honor inflatable suspenders are being fundraised to give to commercial fisherman in the area. Please consider donating here.

This last year of graduate school is already upon me and I can't believe it. In the end I will have a Masters Degree in Education and Counseling to be a k-12 school counselor. What will I be doing after May when I graduate? Perhaps I will go as a volunteer with my church's high school youth group to Brazil for World Youth Day the last week in July. I have made contact with MaryKnoll Lay Missioners about a potential 1-3 yr volunteer opportunity. I'm not sure yet what God has planned for me. I pray that I have the patience and open heart wherever he calls me. My friend Cheryl recently gave me a book to read called "What Does God Want?" by Michael Scanlan and already in the first chapter a few quotes have jumped out at me at this time--"Love of God and Church goes before love of self and one's plans", "Will this choice turn my heart to God? What are my motives for pursuing it?"

Work has me pretty busy but in May I was able to do a road trip from Seattle to Skagway with a friend after being at an environmental education camp under the Archdiocese of Seattle for a week. I got to go to a wedding in Montana about a month ago. Hopefully I'll get the chance to head back to Montana NEXT summer for the wedding of a friend who caught the bride's flowers this summer :) She got engaged last week.

I hope everyone is having a great summer! My heart is full.


No comments:

Post a Comment